Immigration and Naturalization

As a rough overview, immigration is divided into those seeking to live permanently in the U.S. (“immigrants” or “green cards”); persons desiring to be here temporarily (“nonimmigrants”); and people pursuing naturalization (U.S. citizenship).  For those wishing green cards, depending on the facts of each situation, there are several methods.  These include, among others, having a relative who may file; employers desiring to hire a foreign national, self-sponsoring individuals in certain circumstances, asylee/refugees (this office does not handle that method), and diversity lottery.

At our law office, we help with all types of immigration and nonimmigration matters, as well as naturalization (U.S. citizenship).  We assist individuals, their families, organizations, and businesses. We have over 25 years’ experience helping with your immigration process. We can help, for instance, if you are already in the U.S. and want to change your status to another nonimmigrant category; commence a labor certification case toward lawful permanent residency; adjust status to permanent residency (complete the green card process while remaining in the U.S.), or pursue an appropriate visa at a U.S. consulate.


For nonimmigrants, those who are or will be in the U.S. in a temporary capacity, there are many categories —students in F-1 status; temporary workers in H-1B, L, E, O and P, and others.  In the Immigration and Nationality Act, in fact, there are over 20 major nonimmigrant sections, many with multiple sub-categories.  It may be possible to change to a different status to meet evolving needs.

Immigrants (Lawful Permanent Residence [“Green Card”])

Depending upon your eligibility, there may be a variety of options to pursue a green card.  Discussing your situation with an immigration lawyer may point out options of which you are currently not aware. On the other hand, if your nonimmigrant visa is about to expire and you would like to stay in the U.S., we may be able to help you find a method to remain and pursue permanent residency, and to live in the U.S. during that time.  Obtaining a Green Card allows you to live permanently in the USA and also paves the way to become a citizen of the USA.

Change Status or Get Permanent Residency

  • If you are already in the U.S. and want to change your status to another nonimmigrant category
  • Commence a labor certification case toward lawful permanent residency
  • Adjust status to permanent residency

U.S. Citizenship & Naturalization

Although not required, it is best to get help from an experienced immigration lawyer to determine if you are eligible to become a citizen, and to ensure your application is handled properly.  We can often help resolve any issues preventing you from becoming a U.S. citizen.  If there is a solution available to an issue, we will help you find it.

Adjustment of Status

Current nonimmigrant visa holders already in the U.S. may be eligible for “adjustment of status” that could allow them to stay here while you they obtain status as a lawful permanent resident (green card). We work with individuals in family-based and employment-based immigration matters in the adjustment of status process.Learn More


If you are wondering how to become a U.S. citizen or a Green Card holder, or if you have questions about your current status, we would be happy to answer your questions and evaluate your specific situation.